Review: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Genre: Historical Fiction
Publication: 04/03/2011 by Speak
Pages: 352 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
It's 1941 and fifteen-year-old artist Lina Vilkas is on Stalin's extermination list. Deported to a prison camp in Siberia, Lina fights for her life, fearless, risking everything to save her family. It's a long and harrowing journey and it is only their incredible strength, love, and hope that pull Lina and her family through each day. But will love be enough to keep them alive?

My Thoughts
I want to start by saying that I had not heard about this piece of history before. I am very thankful that this book helped open my eyes about a part of history a lot of us don't know about. This book was very emotional and it's quite heartbreaking to hear Lina's story. I really don't know what to say about this book. The writing was simple but in it's own way it packed an emotional punch. It didn't hold back from the horrors that they experienced and saw. I listened to this on audiobook and I wasn't sure about tone the narrator read this story in. The story still came through but I am not sure if all of the events made me as emotional as they could have been if I had read the physical copy. Her voice just didn't suit the tone of the story and pulled me out of the story in a few places. I still highly recommend this book, especially if you are into historical fiction.

No comments :

Post a Comment