Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication: 09/01/2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 320 Pages
Source: Library Hardback
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary: 
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

My Thoughts: 
I have heard a lot about this book ever since it was released last year. I hesitated to pick it up because I am not typically a huge fan of YA contemporary. However, I read a sampler for it a few weeks ago and fell in love. This book really surprised me and I loved it 

I really connected with the characters and felt for them especially Maddie. I think she had appropriate feelings about her illness and it's impossible to imagine living a life where you are never allowed to leave or see anybody besides your mother and your nurse. I also really enjoyed Olly's character. He seemed like he could be a real person. Sometimes I fell like in contemporary books the romantic interests are too perfect or too mature to be real. Olly however wasn't too perfect. 

I also really like that this book approached the topic of sex in a real way. Normally, YA books only imply to sex or even avoid it all together. This one didn't do that. It didn't describe it in any great detail but you clearly knew that it happened. They also were open about protection which is important for readers to see. We all know teenagers have sex, so I like when book don't avoid the topic. 

All in all, this book was fantastic. It takes some serious turns and the ending fully surprised me. I highly recommend this book to contemporary or YA readers. It's fun, addictive and super easy to flow through. I almost read it in one sitting, which I never do. All the thumbs up.

No comments :

Post a Comment