Review: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Genre: Nonfiction, Science
Publication: 04/17/2003 by W.W. Norton & Company
Pages: 303 Pages
Source: Library Audiobook
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon

Goodreads Summary:
Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers—some willingly, some unwittingly—have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.



My Thoughts:
I am going to start off by saying, this book isn't for everyone. It is about all the awesome things that our bodies can do after we die so if thinking about that makes you uncomfortable I would advise you skip this book. I picked it up because I am a Forensic Science student and this novel sounded like interesting . I learn a lot about what happens to us after we die in my courses so this was a natural progression. 

I found some sections of this book incredibly interesting, while others were more dry. It reminded me of assigned reading sometimes which took away from my enjoyment of the book. However, I did find a lot of it very interesting. I was interested in seeing different approaches to mortuary sciences and what kind of choices you have after you die. In addition, I have a Bachelor's of Science where I encountered a cadaver once during my studies so I could really appreciate the sections on donating your body to science. 

Our bodies are amazing things, even after death. If you are interested in science nonfiction, I think this is an interesting one to add to your collection. It provides a different prospective on death which is very interesting. It's often a taboo topic that shouldn't be. We all die and this book can tell you how awesome you are when you do. 

1 comment :

  1. I knew a girl in college who loved this book and recommended it to everybody. I’ll probably get around to reading it someday. It sounds interesting.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete