Review: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

Genre: Memoir
Publication: 9/18/2016 by Blue Rider Press
Pages: 257 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
When Carrie Fisher recently discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved—plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. Today, her fame as an author, actress, and pop-culture icon is indisputable, but in 1977, Carrie Fisher was just a (sort-of) regular teenager.


With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, The Princess Diarist is Fisher’s intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time—and what developed behind the scenes. And today, as she reprises her most iconic role for the latest Star Wars trilogy, Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and endlessly quotable, The Princess Diarist brims with the candor and introspection of a diary while offering shrewd insight into the type of stardom that few will ever experience.

My Thoughts
This book made me absolutely fall in love with Carrie Fisher, however due to obvious circumstances was a very bittersweet experience. I listened to the audiobook, that she narrated herself, which brought you so much closer to the story. I always try to read memoirs through audiobook because they are pretty much always narrated by the author themselves which is the best experience.

Anyone who might know me will agree, I am a Star Wars nerd. I shamelessly cried during the opening crawl of The Force Awakens. Han Solo was always my favourite character, but I am strongly considering changing it to Leia. This book gave me all the awesome Star Wars behind the scenes which was funny and interesting. You also get a glimpse of Carrie's affair with Harrison Ford. Just the way that she wrote those sections was hilariously relatable.

Obviously, this book is a bittersweet experience due to Carrie's passing. The world lost an incredibly badass lady. She is so relatable in this book, which I loved. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is missing Carrie Fisher right now. I will definitely pick up some of her other books soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment