Review: Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed by Michelle Knight with Michelle Burford

Genre: Memoir
Publication: 03/10/2010 by HaperCollins
Pages: 356 Pages
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
“The day I disappeared in 2002, not many people even seemed to notice. I was twenty-one, a young mom who stopped at a Family Dollar store one afternoon to ask for directions. For the next eleven years I was locked away in hell. That’s the part of my story you may already know. There’s a whole lot more that you don’t.” —from Finding Me

Michelle Knight, the first of three women abducted by notorious Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro, recounts the full story of her years in captivity, her escape, and the powerful inner strength and capacity for hope that has helped her rebuild her life.

Michelle was a young single mother fighting for custody of her young son when she was kidnapped on August 21, 2002, by a local school bus driver named Ariel Castro. For more than a decade afterward, she endured unimaginable torture at the hands of her abductor. In 2003 Amanda Berry joined her in captivity, followed by Gina DeJesus in 2004. Their escape on May 6, 2013, made headlines around the world.

In Finding Me, Michelle reveals the heartbreaking details of her story, including the thoughts and prayers that helped her find courage to endure unimaginable circumstances and now build a life worth living. By sharing both her past and her efforts to create a future, Michelle becomes a voice for the voiceless and a powerful symbol of hope for the thousands of children and young adults who go missing every year.

My Thoughts
To me. this isn't a book to review. I don't want to judge Michelle' experience or the way her story was told. That being said, this book was incredibly gripping. I had heard a little bit about Michelle and the Cleveland Kidnappings when it was on a the news but I had no idea the depth of the situation. Michelle had to live through so many terrible and tragic events. Not just when she was being held captive but also in her life before that. It's crazy to believe that someone could hold 3 girls practically in plain site and get away with it, for over a decade! I couldn't believe what I was reading at points. I know it's all very true but it's scary that something like this could have happened to anyone.

This wasn't the most well written book that I ever read but it is a very important read. I haven't read anything like this in my life and I am always going to think back to Michelle's story. It's a tragic and scary book, but I think it's something that's important to be read. I recommend if you are looking for an emotional non-fiction.

No comments :

Post a Comment