Review: Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld

Genre: Contemporary/Paranormal
Publication: September 24th, 2014 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 599 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
Darcy Patel has put college and everything else on hold to publish her teen novel, Afterworlds. Arriving in New York with no apartment or friends she wonders whether she's made the right decision until she falls in with a crowd of other seasoned and fledgling writers who take her under their wings…


Told in alternating chapters is Darcy's novel, a suspenseful thriller about Lizzie, a teen who slips into the 'Afterworld' to survive a terrorist attack. But the Afterworld is a place between the living and the dead and as Lizzie drifts between our world and that of the Afterworld, she discovers that many unsolved - and terrifying - stories need to be reconciled. And when a new threat resurfaces, Lizzie learns her special gifts may not be enough to protect those she loves and cares about most.

My Thoughts
I have been putting this book off for awhile now and I am happy I finally got to it. I was pleasantly surprised by the stories in the book and I am glad to have read it. My favourite part of this book is Darcy's story. I loved getting to see the behind the scenes of publishing and the writing. It's not something I know a lot about, even though I read a lot, I have never tried to write ever in my life. I liked that this book gave me a different perspective on books and I really want to support my favourite authors more.

The biggest downside with this book for me was Lizzie's story. I am just not a huge fan of the paranormal genre so I struggled more with her sections. I did love seeing how Darcy's life effected the Lizzie's story but I wasn't particularly invested in her story. It wasn't bad by any means, just not my style. I also found that I got a little lost when I got back to Lizzie's story after one of Darcy's chapters.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this book. It was an interesting concept and I really had fun listening to it. I did listen to it on audiobook and there where 2 different narrators which made the experience even better. There was also an LGBT relationship, which was an awesome surprise and it made me happy. I do suggest you check out this book. It was perfect but it definitely was interesting.

No comments :

Post a Comment