Review: Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

Genre: Memoir
Publication: September 30, 2014 by Random House
Pages: 256 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
“If I can take what I’ve learned in this life and make one treacherous relationship or degrading job easier for you, perhaps even prevent you from becoming temporarily vegan, then every misstep of mine will have been worthwhile. This book contains stories about wonderful nights with terrible boys and terrible days with wonderful friends, about ambition and the two existential crises I had before the age of twenty. About fashion and its many discontents. About publicly sharing your body, having to prove yourself in a meeting full of fifty-year-old men, and the health fears (tinnitus, lamp dust, infertility) that keep me up at night. I’m already predicting my future shame at thinking I had anything to offer you with this book,  but also my future glory in having stopped you from trying an expensive juice cleanse or having the kind of sexual encounter where you keep your sneakers on. No, I am not a sexpert, a psychologist, or a registered dietician. I am not a married mother of three or the owner of a successful hosiery franchise. But I am a girl with a keen interest in self-actualization, sending hopeful dispatches from the front lines of that struggle.”

My Thoughts: 
I don't think I mesh very well with Lena. I like the idea of this book and I did laugh at some of the essays but it just couldn't relate to a lot of the stories that she told. I haven't see Girls of really anything else Lena has done but I have heard a lot of what she has to say about life (because she does seem to have lots to say).

I like how she can push the envelope and start a conversation but at the same time I think she takes it a little too far. I like her views on body image and sexuality. My favourite essays were the ones where she was losing her virginity and in college. These were the stories I can relate to most as an early 20-something in university. However, a lot of the other stories I just had no way to relate to them. I grew up very differently and I feel like she was trying really hard to make them funny.

I did appreciate this book and it made me think about some things. Even if I don't see the world exactly the same way as Lena, it's interesting to see someone else's thoughts. It's not perfect but it's not a bad read.

No comments :

Post a Comment