Review: The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

Genre: Fantasy
Publication: 07/07/2015 by Henry Holt and Co.
Series: The Remnant Chronicles #2
Pages: 470 Pages
Format: Library Hardback
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny. 

My Thoughts:
This book brought some serious game. I enjoyed this much better than the first book. It didn't depend on the love triangle trope like the first one did. I am not going to lie it did play a part, but the whole plot wasn't revolved around it. This sequel took a very political turn which was refreshing and exciting in a different way than the fantasy I normally read. I find that now we are in the world and familiar with the characters this series can really shine.

One thing that confuses me about this story is the different religions in the world. I think that each different kingdom had a slightly different religion that did plan a part. I did get a bit confused and didn't really know what was important to remember. It does play an important part in the plot and I got a bit lost there.


What I did really like was the introduction of new characters and well as the setting in Venda. We meet the Komizar, who I can easily see as becoming a fan favourite villain. He's powerful, he's charming and he's very frightening. He was everything you want out of the king of a rival mysterious kingdom. You also meet a lot of other people in this kingdom, who really work their way into your heart. 

This was an awesome sequel. I think it was more enjoyable than the first one and if you weren't a fan of the 2 boys chasing one princess plot, you might enjoy the sequel more. Lia knows who she wants in this book and this book definitely goes in a different direction than the first. I can't wait to read the next book!



No comments :

Post a Comment