Review - Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation by Bill Nye

Genre: Science, Non-Fiction
Publication: 11/04/2014 by St. Martin's Press
Pages: 320 Pages
Format: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary: 
"Evolution is one of the most powerful and important ideas ever developed in the history of science. Every question it raises leads to new answers, new discoveries, and new smarter questions. The science of evolution is as expansive as nature itself. It is also the most meaningful creation story that humans have ever found."
—Bill Nye

Sparked by a controversial debate in February 2014, Bill Nye has set off on an energetic campaign to spread awareness of evolution and the powerful way it shapes our lives. In Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, he explains why race does not really exist; evaluates the true promise and peril of genetically modified food; reveals how new species are born, in a dog kennel and in a London subway; takes a stroll through 4.5 billion years of time; and explores the new search for alien life, including aliens right here on Earth.


With infectious enthusiasm, Bill Nye shows that evolution is much more than a rebuttal to creationism; it is an essential way to understand how nature works—and to change the world. It might also help you get a date on a Saturday night.


My Thoughts:
I grew up watching Bill Nye the Science Guy and I now sit here with my BSc reading this book with the stupidest smile on my face. I absolutely love science, and Bill was one of the first people who ever got me excited to be a scientist. Now here I am a huge Biology nerd getting excited about things like The Red Queen Hypothesis, Convergent Evolution and Sexual Selection. 


Since I do have my BSc in Biology, I know quite a bit about Evolution. I had to take quite a bit to get my degree. Therefore, I did know pretty much everything that Bill was talking about. It wasn't particularly new to me. I did really enjoy Bill's take on evolution. I couldn't help but get excited again about it. Genetics and evolution are the reason I went into biology in the first place so this whole book made me super happy. 

I do think this book is also a good introduction to evolution for people without a science background. Bill explains everything so well without having to use super complicated terms. Evolution is a pretty approachable subject and this is an easy medium to learn. Clearly, there will be people out there against this book which still baffles my mind. I can't imagine our world without evolution but I understand there are many who can.  

If you are interested in learning more about Evolution, check this one out. I listened to it on audiobook which I would suggest above the physical copy. Hearing Bill's voice tell the story makes it so much more interesting. Now I need to pick up his next book!








No comments :

Post a Comment